Photo
- - - - -

Do you think was forced to perform @ Belgrade's concert?

amy winehouse belgrade show

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

When I come back, you'll know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:27 AM

A little off topic here, but I've heard more than a few people talk about her "alter ego", but I really feel compelled to say that she never had one. People talk about her "warpaint" and beehive and whatever as contributing to her "alter ego". Uh, she wore that shit to pay tribute to early girl groups and The Ronettes..so, WTF.

#32 ohmr

ohmr

No sweeter song, no heart so true

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:01 AM

A little off topic here, but I've heard more than a few people talk about her "alter ego", but I really feel compelled to say that she never had one. People talk about her "warpaint" and beehive and whatever as contributing to her "alter ego". Uh, she wore that shit to pay tribute to early girl groups and The Ronettes..so, WTF.

I remember someone posted a pic of her probably a week or a few days when she was walking outside with a body guard and I mentioned she seemed like she gets into character when she's in public, i think. Like the St. Lucia performance. She was all curls and no eye liner all during St. Lucia but as soon as she performed, she became "THE" Amy Winehouse. Beehive, eyeliner, etc. Drunk on stage, couldn't perform IDK. Prior to that, she was belting out "Puppy Love" in the hotel lobby.

So, I just don't know. I just don't know about the stage freight, coping by drinking or any of that. Outside of the St. Lucia performance, she was just typical Amy. Outside of a big stage, she was typical Amy. That's what really bothered me about Russell Brands' speech at the VMAS. Maybe that was just his first encounter but they met a few times and for him to just sum up his encounter with Amy like that was just tacky and distasteful but so is he and he's also not funny and I'll never understand why people think he is BUT THATS JUST ME. I still love that girl with all of my heart.

Amy, are you happy?
She squints suspiciously at me.
"About what?"
About life.
"I'm happy about this salad."

#33 leannaf

leannaf

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

I dont think when this gig was booked she was forced to do it i actually believe that she had been clean and as her father and record company stated that she told them she was ready to do it again... i think when she had got there just like anybody with addiction gave in to temptation i think she thought she could handle it but when in the reality she couldnt i dont think she drank that night to cope with performing as she has stated in many a interview she finds performing and touring the best bit! I think on that stage you can see how dissapointed she is with her self for giving in to her demons she cant believe she has succombed to drink again she probs thought oh 1 wont do any harm and 1 led to anouther etc and when she got out there she relised what she had done.
But at that point she does try to leave the stage and they do push her back on perhaps because its a contract and they thought they had to do that i dont know but that bit is wrong some one should of tool her of stage and whisked her straight bacj to the uk!
I cant even watch them videos its to upsetting you can see her anger her dissapointment at her self

#34 CHCHANEL

CHCHANEL

rulers one thing but come brixton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

wow, that performance, i... have no words.
thanks for posting!

Posted Image

#35 leannaf

leannaf

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

If any one did see her before she went on show i just cant see them forcing her out why;-) when she would of made aess of it i dont know. but i do think people dis try to help her family did as much as they could. at the end of day no matter how much people try the only one who can change it is the addict them self they really have to want to give up. i think people with addixtionb ahould be sectioned under the mental health act i mean if you try kill your self by overdose you would whata the diffrence yes its addiction but you are still slowly killing your self and people with addiction have some form of mental illness . her dad try to get amy sectioned a few times and they wouldnt do it maybe if you could then things could of been diffrent. its just so sad the whole thing! I think amys dad was always in a bit of denial he didnt want to admit to hkm self how bad it was you can see that on the documentry for channel 4. i think it was to late before people relised she had a very bad problem. i mean how could you notice every one in that industry drinks ans so it wouldnt of been obv at first her record company noticed early on n tried to recomend rehab but her and her dad thought it was just a phase.. watching that never mind the buzzcocks and simon astell saying to her are you trying to drink your self to death i dont know but the way he says it to her is like jokingly but i think he genraly is worried as then he says what happened to you you use to be such a sweet girl

#36 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

all i know, or think i know, is it was someone's ultimate and only responsibility to protect the artist. no matter how far down the food chain you are, it's your only responsibility.
it's the job you were hired to do.

you may lose your job but it's your place to say to island execs or the promoter or whomever that amy is not going on that stage..period. let them sue.

this was amy's disease. what if she was sober but fell backstage and broken a leg? same difference. she can't perform.

'so, mr promoter, are you saying a broken leg is acceptable to cancel but an addiction, a disease, doesn't qualify?'

read my lips-fuck you. you have to have that type of personality in the music business.

#37 Cherry Bomb

Cherry Bomb

Velut Inter Ignis Lunae Minor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

wow, that performance, i... have no words.
thanks for posting!

ive never saw it before! great video!
One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star.
Become what you already are.
(Nietzsche)

#38 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

none of it makes sense.

why was she playing these countries anyway?

it all sounds dodgy.

with regards to amy being allowed to go on in the state that she was in - had nobody learnt anything after seeing elvis being allowed to perform in the couple of years before he had died?

she made poor elvis look sober.

it was horrific that belgrade footage. i wish that the people who own it could just remove it. do we really need to watch it anymore?

do you think the next day when she got papped talking on her phone - that was mortified at how she was the night before?

#39 leannaf

leannaf

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

Why are people saying she dress up as a alter ego wen she performs etc.. she dressed like that as it was her style she dressed like that to go to the shop to walk round camden when she was at home and of course she didnt dress like that in st lucia as sh was on hols swimming being active etc so wouldnt be very comftable trying to swim with a beehive still in lol... she dressed lile that where ever she was it wasnt a alter ego thing and like any one the only time she didnt do her make up etc is when she couldnt be bothered

#40 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

funny, i've been watching a lot of elvis on youtube.

i keep thinking of zztop's manager for almost 40 years, bill ham, a legendary son of a bitch. he saw to it that nobody fucked with his band, from minute details to huge business deals he had their back.

i wonder if he was alive today and had been amy's manager, would she be alive?

i doubt that he would have let anyone book that ridiculous tour and i seriously doubt that he would have let god himself put amy on that stage. he had a huge ego, much like bill graham, and, i think, would have done things his way because his way was the only way.

ps...i haven't watched the belgrade footage and i never will.

Edited by pearljo, 31 August 2011 - 12:22 PM.

#41 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

The tour really did sound like nonsense, especially with no new songs, but remembering when she performed in Brazil earlier and the news of Tony duet - noone could have predicted what would happen months later, it was just so good to finally see her again and it gave the fans something to look forward to.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#42 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

I believe she was forced on stage by whomever. It's an ugly cesspool business ( Joni Mitchell's words)--Promoters are money hungry folks and where contracts are in place it becomes serious business. I come off like I know what I'm talking about, but it's just my hunch. After reading what Annie Lennox posted I do believe that business prevailed over any other considerations. I just got back to work after a holiday to find that friends of mine that I have known for 20 years in my work place were suddenly given their marching papers. Big business may come across as caring, but they could give two shits about you if you're not covering the bottom line.

It's so painful to see these genius creative people lose their way in the business side of art. Hind sight is 20/20, but I believe part of her recovery should have included withdrawing from the business. Gone off with Reg, had their babies...everything you hear and see in Amy before B2B shows her as a loving, thoughtful and reflective young woman. There's one interview where she characterizes herself as motivated. In a way, I wish she had never had the success of B2B. I don't think she was capable of handling what was happening to her all of a sudden. To be known worldwide, everyone wants to know you, how does one cope with that? Booze and hard drugs were essential to the new alter ego she'd created for herself after B2B.

If you havent read Annie's blog, it's posted here. The anger and rage at those who put her up there to perform is palpable and so right on.

Thanks for letting me ramble. I think it helps to push the grief along....

It makes me sick to see those video's of her at Belgrade, who ever let that happen; manager her father whoever - are out of order. Awful but she may have been OK 20mins before the gig was meant to start and maybe taken something like Valium? I don't know for sure but it's heartbreaking to see. Why didn't they start her out playing some small gigs in London instead of Belgrade.

There was talk somewhere I read that someone said she shouldn't have been awarded those grammys it was too much pressure. She created that Alter Ego if you like to call it that, and you could say that is what won the grammys as the music she made on B2B had massive appeal in America.

Edited by Nigel Jam, 05 September 2011 - 10:36 PM.

#43 ohmr

ohmr

No sweeter song, no heart so true

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

I know even gigs like Brazil would dish out tons of money for the simple fact that not many acts come down that way to tour. So, these promoters make tons of money from concertgoers because it's usually like a once in a lifetime kind of thing with the locals correct me if I'm wrong. She did 4 shows and didn't really seem that interested. I think she knew she wasn't at her best but her people knew that her name alone would be quick money. It's disgusting. I also thought that these little tours/quick gigs were for Amy to "prove" herself (did I already talk about this? lol) as they always made it as if she'd only release new music once they understood she was more the ready. The thing with that is that Amy cleaned up really well. It seemed like anytime she "cleaned up" they were ready to green light her career again. What I still don't understand is that they said she had finished her album and everything. She did that photoshoot...

Posted Image

Where they said they needed new photos to "promote" her because they hadn't had anything recent to work with.

They saw $$$. I don't understand how you can say "we booked these gigs when she was doing well." Even Mitch alluded to that and it's like you know you daughter and what she's been going through with recovery. As her father, wouldn't you be more concerned about her being 100% which wasn't going to happen anyways then with her doing gigs? The only ones she's said she was excited about were the ones after Belgrade that were canceled. Festival gigs. Rather she could or couldn't do them wasn't her decision. I just think it's pathetic that they'd fly her all around the world but then she wasn't allowed to do simple festival gigs in the area.

In the end of the day, I still feel like she didn't have good people around her. Even down to Mitch and Blake. She adored her father but from the outside looking in, I just don't get it. Her manager either. I understand Amy's going to live her life and if she's not working, you're not getting paid but is money that important?! I doubt they weren't dipping in her money anyways.

But this is just all speculation, etc. She's gone. I just don't get how she was doing so well in St. Lucia enough to quit a drug habit but the alchol couldn't be caged. I know it all up to her but she had a major problem and I feel like they washed there hands with her a long time ago. They aren't to blame, just wish more was done.

Edited by ohmr, 05 September 2011 - 11:35 PM.

Amy, are you happy?
She squints suspiciously at me.
"About what?"
About life.
"I'm happy about this salad."

#44 Cherry Bomb

Cherry Bomb

Velut Inter Ignis Lunae Minor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

But this is just all speculation, etc. She's gone. I just don't get how she was doing so well in St. Lucia enough to quit a drug habit but the alchol couldn't be caged. I know it all up to her but she had a major problem and I feel like they washed there hands with her a long time ago. They aren't to blame, just wish more was done.[/QUOTE]

well said
One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star.
Become what you already are.
(Nietzsche)

#45 catouplik

catouplik

Help yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

funny, i've been watching a lot of elvis on youtube.

i keep thinking of zztop's manager for almost 40 years, bill ham, a legendary son of a bitch. he saw to it that nobody fucked with his band, from minute details to huge business deals he had their back.

i wonder if he was alive today and had been amy's manager, would she be alive?

i doubt that he would have let anyone book that ridiculous tour and i seriously doubt that he would have let god himself put amy on that stage. he had a huge ego, much like bill graham, and, i think, would have done things his way because his way was the only way.

ps...i haven't watched the belgrade footage and i never will.

Believe me, it's the most painful thing to watch. I can't believe that there was people backstage letting this happen. This is complete non-sense. They have a responsibility to what happened to Amy, I think, but no one is taking the blame.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amy winehouse, belgrade show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users