#466 Amy Movie

Amy Movie

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

Hi all!

I'm sorry for being away all this time and the lack of  updates. It has been crazy trying to finish and deliver the film, but we got there at the end! 

By now you have probably been reading about the film and seen the trailers that got released... We couldn't be happier with the result and we hope the fans will be too. It's a honest film about her life and career. Unfortunately the film couldn;t be longer than 2 hours, but we have lot's of nice unseen material, which we hope to put on the DVD extras. 

Anyway, thank you to you all who helped me... and I'd like to say that I have a few tickets for a preview this saturday 11:30AM in London. If you are interested and can make it, please get in touch on info@onthecorner.tv - Limited number available. 

R x

• Sassy, Uno, catpuss and 8 others like this

#467 Poom

Poom

My Own Best Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

Unfortunately the film couldn;t be longer than 2 hours, but we have lot's of nice unseen material, which we hope to put on the DVD extras. 

I hope too! I would be first in the line to get them.

• Amy Movie likes this

#468 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

I was wondering if we'd hear back from you...

but we have lot's of nice unseen material, which we hope to put on the DVD extras. 

Yes, yes, yes !!!!

Well done guys on your success at Cannes and the good reviews! Can't wait to se it... 

• Amy Movie and Poom like this

#469 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:02 PM

and I'd like to say that I have a few tickets for a preview this saturday 11:30AM in London. If you are interested and can make it, please get in touch on info@onthecorner.tv - Limited number available. 

R x

If I still lived in London I would go in a heartbeat! 

• Amy Movie likes this

#470 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

Coming from an Australian, this is hard to say, but I never wish more than now that I lived in the UK so I could get a free ticket :D

I'll just have to wait until it's released here on July 2.

Thanks for making a great movie and I can't wait for the DVD extras. We really appreciate it!
  • Amy Movie likes this

#471 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:12 PM

Hi all!

I'm sorry for being away all this time and the lack of updates. It has been crazy trying to finish and deliver the film, but we got there at the end!
By now you have probably been reading about the film and seen the trailers that got released... We couldn't be happier with the result and we hope the fans will be too. It's a honest film about her life and career. Unfortunately the film couldn;t be longer than 2 hours, but we have lot's of nice unseen material, which we hope to put on the DVD extras.

Anyway, thank you to you all who helped me... and I'd like to say that I have a few tickets for a preview this saturday 11:30AM in London. If you are interested and can make it, please get in touch on info@onthecorner.tv - Limited number available.

R x

Yes, thank you! I was hoping the footage not released in the documentary because of time will be released on a dvd or something. <3
  • Amy Movie likes this

#472 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:21 PM

Ah man, I'm gonna be near London this weekend but I'm visiting a friend so I won't get chance to go. Can't wait to see the film when it's released though!

#473 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

I sent an email about getting a ticket! Hopefully there are still some available!
  • Amy Movie likes this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#474 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

Wow, i wish i lived in London or at least was there for a visit. But i'm sure it is worth the wait until the DVD release. 

#475 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

damn i really miss her

#476 dykehaze

dykehaze

What the fuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hi all!

I'm sorry for being away all this time and the lack of  updates. It has been crazy trying to finish and deliver the film, but we got there at the end! 

R x

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus and say THANK YOU for making this film. Amy's story certainly needed to be told in an honest and objective manner. From all the reviews I've read it sounds like you've done just that. Some people say Amy was a once in a generation talent or once in a lifetime talent. I think Amy's talent happens just once, period. In much the same way as we've never seen or heard another Hendrix, I don't think we'll see or hear another Amy. Thank God someone had the intellect and foresight to recognize true musical genius and celebrate it in film. Although it may not be a pleasant story it is a human story and one that needs to be told.

• Sassy, Uno, catpuss and 4 others like this

#477 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

Indeed, thank you for your objectivity and telling AMY's story.

#478 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

Reviewed: the Amy Winehouse documentary

Moving and intimate portrait of the late singer

For an artist whose talents were in constant demand, Amy Winehouse meant different things to many people around her. To one, she was “the truest jazz singer I have ever heard”; another saw her as “an old soul in a young body”, while a third describes her as “a humble person caught up in a bad situation”. These various perspectives are all broadly accurate; but if there is one lesson we can take away from Asif Kapadia’s documentary it is that if Amy Winehouse chose her female friends well, the same is not necessarily true of the men in her life. Watching Kapadia’s film – from her childhood in Southgate, north London through her remarkable success up to her death in 2011 aged 27 – it is possible to see how badly she was let down by the male figures closest to her: an absentee father, an exploitative husband, a manager who appears out of his depth. “You like a powerful man,” observes an ex-boyfriend: it transpires that the exact opposite would be more appropriate.

Assembled from home video and mobile phone footage, as well as contemporaneous interviews, Amy opens in 1988 in Southgate, in suburban north London. A 14th birthday party is in progress, which catches Winehouse mucking around with her friends, Juliette Ashby and Lauren Gilbert. To illustrate Winehouse’s remarkable gifts, she delivers a breathy version of “Happy Birthday”. Ashby and Gilbert – along with her first manager, Nick Shymansky – are essentially the heart of Kapadia’s film. It is they who care the most, want only to help, when around Winehouse swarm a growing number of people who have their own strategies. The early footage of Winehouse, Shymansky and her guitarist Ian Barter as they play pool or smoke weed in the downtime between touring engagements is among the warmest in the film. Her performances during this period are far more expressive and wide-ranging than her later material.

As the film progresses, we learn how her father, Mitch Winehouse, began an affair when his daughter was 18 months old. “She got over it pretty quick,” he says; an early indication that he is not the most intuitive witness. By the time she reaches her teens, she is on anti-depressants. Regrettably, Winehouse is serially drawn to men of a similar disposition to Mitch: chief among them, Blake Fielder-Civil. While Kapadia is keen not to point any fingers, neither father nor ex-husband emerge well from this film. It is her father who later advises her not to attend a drying-out facility and who then arrives during what is ostensibly a fragile period of recovery for the singer on St Lucia with a full documentary crew in tow. If one is looking for a moment that best sums up Fielder-Civil’s part in Winehouse’s story, it may well be the scene filmed in a bar on their wedding day, where he asks the camera, “Who’s paying for this? I’m broke. Amy? Get us a bottle of Dom Perignon.” Fresh from their honeymoon, he introduces his new bride to heroin and crack cocaine. Her promoter-turned-manager, Raye Cosbert, meanwhile, seems to think nothing of sending her on a European tour days before she died.

Much as with Kapadia’s previous film, Senna – and also the recently released Kurt Cobain documentary – Amy relies on diligently researched archive footage. But it is the involvement of Ashby, Gilbert and Shymansky who are perhaps the film’s strongest asset: with no particular agenda, theirs feels the most unfiltered version of events. At one point, Ashby confesses that she stole Winehouse’s passport in order to prevent her from going on tour overseas: she was subsequently reprimanded for her troubles. Such revelations only further enhance the suspicion that the professionals who were responsible for Amy Winehouse’s well-being singularly failed in their endeavours. But that’s not to suggest Kapadia’s film presents Winehouse as a victim: she was far too complex and mercurial a personality for that.

http://www.uncut.co....cumentary-68797

• Tara, dykehaze, Ace of Hearts and 1 other like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#479 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:32 PM

I just can't let myeself read the reviews, i want it to be as much as a suprise as possible. And i i'm really glad they will release the extra footage too.

#480 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

I'm going to see the preview at the BFI tomorrow morning. I'm on an Amy music binge in preparation!

• pearljo, Sassy, Birdieava and 4 others like this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users